Repairing Your Hearing Aid
BACK TO BLOG
Repairing Your Hearing Aid
Posted by Audibel Hearing Aid Centers of MD and WV on April 14, 2016
Just like a phone or computer, hearing aids are sophisticated devices that can provide years of benefit when cared for properly. Because of their everyday use, even with every precaution taken, they are susceptible to the elements along with other variables life may throw your way. If your dog used your hearing aid as a chew toy, or your hearing aid has a simple malfunction, we’ve got you covered.
Here are a few simple reminders about caring for your hearing aids if you do run into a problem:
- Never attempt to repair your hearing aids yourself. While do-it-yourself projects around the house may save you money, do-it-yourself repairs usually cause more damage than good to your hearing technology. If you run into a situation where you need a repair, report the problem immediately to your local provider’s office.
- Never wear your hearing instruments in the shower or while swimming.
- If your hearing instruments do get wet, never try any “quick drying” methods such as microwaves, hair dryers, or ovens. Consult with your provider if your instruments are inoperable due to moisture.
- Always place hearing instruments in a safe place out of reach of pets or children.
- If your hearing instruments sound distorted or unclear, they may be in need of repair and you should consult with your provider immediately.
- Visit your provider at least twice a year for follow-up care and routine service. Hearing loss is dynamic, we recommend that you having your hearing tested at least once a year to make sure you are receiving the maximum benefit from your hearing instruments.
If you experience issues with your hearing instruments during your warranty period, simply bring them to our office. In many cases, we’re able to fix the issue and find an immediate solution which saves you time and money.
If your hearing aids are experiencing a more complex problem, we may need to send them to the repair lab. Because hearing aids become such an essential part of your life, we understand that even going a day without them can be disappointing and frustrating. Because of this, we work with our hearing aid factory for repairs, who prioritizes and realizes the value of quick turn-around time as much as we do.
You may be wondering, how much is this going to cost to fix? The cost of repair depends on 3 factors of whether or not the hearing aid is still under warranty, the extent of damage to the hearing aid, and the cost of replacement parts for you hearing aid.
If you purchased your hearing aids from us and they are still under warranty, your hearing aid repair cost will most likely be very small, or maybe even free! Old, or out-of-warranty, hearing aids may have a repair cost associated with them which depends on whether or not their broken parts can be repaired or replaced.
What happens if you didn’t purchase your hearing aids from us? We are committed to better hearing regardless of who you purchased your hearing aids from. That being said, we provide repairs for major brands such as Audibel, Phonak, GN Resound, Siemens, Miracle Ear, Costco Kirkland, Unitron, Oticon and many more.
Whether you have a pair of hearing aids sitting in your desk drawer that have been broken for quite some time, or a hearing aid that you think may not be working like it used to, contact us today to help evaluate your options. Your hearing is our number one priority!